- What causes dark circles and puffiness around the eyes?
- How does the Mary Kay® Targeted-Action® Eye Revitalizer help reduce the appearance of dark circles and puffiness?
- How do I know it works?
Q: What causes dark circles and puffiness around the eyes?
A: Environmental Exposure
Everyday environmental exposure to sun, smoke and other pollutants can cause the skin's network of collagen and elastin fibers to deteriorate. The delicate undereye area is often the first place you see signs of damage. Left untreated, skin beneath the eyes can slacken, becoming more vulnerable to puffiness.
Chronic environmental exposure to free-radical damage caused by UV rays can increase the size and number of the blood vessels underneath the eye. This proliferation can lead to visible dark circles.
As part of the natural aging process, the layer of support under the eye – an area known as the infraorbital fat pad, essential for maintaining a youthful look – begins to break down. The result can be a shadowy, sunken look in the undereye area.
A number of external irritants – among them allergens, dust and pollutants – can cause the undereye area to swell, resulting in puffiness. Rubbing only makes the problem worse and is even thought to contribute to the appearance of dark circles.
Often caused by hereditary factors, excess melanin in the skin can appear as dark circles.
Q: How does the TimeWise® Targeted-Action® Eye Revitalizer help reduce the appearance of dark circles and puffiness?
A: Because there are multiple external and internal factors that can cause dark circles and undereye puffiness, these common beauty concerns are often difficult to treat. The TimeWise® Targeted-Action® Eye Revitalizer is a product that contains an exclusive blend of ingredients specifically formulated to address these multiple causes.
Hundreds of ingredients were extensively tested by the scientists in the Mary Kay Skin Care Laboratories to determine which ones would be most effective in addressing the multiple causes of dark circles and undereye puffiness. Many of these ingredients turned out to be botanically derived, and in combination with active peptides and other non-botanical ingredients were able to deliver the most impressive results. Because of our unwavering commitment to deliver products of the highest quality and performance, you can be assured that every Mary Kay® product we develop will be formulated with the ingredients that will be most effective in delivering that product's benefits.
Let's take a look at a few of the key ingredients for this product:
- A special blend of botanicals, including the antioxidants aniseed myrtle, wild rosella and orange extract, helps to minimize the impact of environmental stressors. Peptide palmitoyl and soy protein help support the skin's structural integrity, improving firmness and elasticity.
- Powerful extracts of magnolia flower, hops and citrus peel (apigenin) join together to make the micro-capillaries just below the skin's surface appear diminished, helping to reduce the appearance of dark circles.
- Southernwood extract (artemisia abortanum), gotu kola (centella asiatica) and citrus peel (apigenin) help protect skin from the effects of degrading enzymes and aid in reinforcing the natural support barrier.
- Special ingredients, including gotu kola (centella asiatica) and dipeptide VW, an amino acid complex, increase microcirculation to help keep excess fluid from settling under the eyes.
- Extracts of oat kernel (avena sativa), hibiscus flower and citrus peel (apigenin) have been shown to reduce irritation caused by certain environmental elements.
Q: How do I know it works?
A. Under the direction of consumer science experts, Mary Kay performs consumer testing around the world. Through home-use studies, central location tests and qualitative focus groups and interviews, these studies determine what benefits are noticeable to the large group of panelists. The quantitative results are statistically reviewed to evaluate the products' performance and perceived benefits. Only then can we be confident that a claim can be supported and promoted with confidence.
After just two weeks, 7 out of 10 women said their dark circles and undereye puffiness were less noticeable.*
*In a consumer study conducted by an independent research facility