Here is just a snapshot of how we're conducting business responsibly in the countries and communities where we live and work.
Mary Kay Inc. was one of the first companies to enact a comprehensive corporate recycling program and one of the first companies to ban product testing on laboratory animals. Here are just a few of our achievements:
- Mary Kay Inc. established an extensive recycling program in 1989 that includes product line packaging. Mary Kay's achievements in environmental protection have resulted in numerous awards and honors.
- Mary Kay Inc. does not do animal testing. Mary Kay Inc. has not conducted, or requested on its behalf, any testing of products or ingredients on animals in over 15 years and actively supports the research of alternative testing methods.
- In 1995 Mary Kay became the first cosmetics manufacturer to be awarded the Star Work Site designation in OSHA's Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) for its excellent safety record, safety programs and employee involvement. In 1998 and 2003, Mary Kay Inc. was again recognized for its exemplary safety program and awarded recertification as a Star Work Site.
- In the United States, Mary Kay is a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) registered drug manufacturing operation. This allows the Company to manufacture and distribute certain products classified as over-the-counter drugs, such as sunscreens and acne treatment products. The research team keeps abreast of each country's various governmental regulatory agencies to ensure that products comply with regulatory restrictions and guidelines.
- In 2005 Mary Kay Inc. gave a $1 million endowment to support dermatology research at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas to help stimulate ground-breaking research and help further advancements in the field of dermatology.
- Mary Kay Inc. is an active member of the Personal Care Product Council (PCPC). As a member, Mary Kay Inc. supports the organization's Consumer Commitment Code, established to further strengthen industry safeguards for consumers and ensure the continued safety of all cosmetics products. To learn more about PCPC and the Consumer Commitment Code visit www.cosmeticsinfo.org.
- Mary Kay Inc. has been a member of the Direct Selling Association (DSA) since 1970. Read more about Mary Kay and the DSA Code of Ethics, and our involvement with the World Federation of Direct Selling Associations (WFDSA).